Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectHierbas y Cosas
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7173&mesg_id=7259
7259, Hierbas y Cosas
Posted by Solarus, Fri Aug-23-02 05:54 AM
One thing I have noticed with many Panamanians is the heavy use and knowledge of herbs and plants in general. My aunt says this new generation grows increasingly more ignorant of the plants around them. I blame it on Mcdonalds.

Anyways drugs, cosmetics and any other chemical component used for the body costs money, and money has been something the majority of panamanians dont have. Plus there is much (free) access to a preponderance of herbs. I have only seen or head about a few things as my time here has been limited. There is a plant that my aunt uses for colds. You can just eat the leaf itself or make a tea with it. I still am not sure what the benefits of noni are, but recently i have noticed its popularity grow in the states. Its expensive as hell in DC but here noni fruit is virtually free as it grows everywhere. Its known for making you strong, around here.

Of course the variety of peppers available here are very popular and are known for being "good fa de art" (good for the heart). I think the most popular and widely used plant by far is aloe vera. Every relatives haouse that i have been too, grows aloe vera in their homes. The aunt who Im staying with grows, mint, tons of aloe vera, peppers, garlic, tomatoes and among other things. She uses aloe vera for skin hair and other stuff. The majority of people who use it seem to be women. They use it alot for their skin.

My aunt along with my mother spent many days in "de bush" with my greatgrandparents. Out there they got to learn about all the goodies surrounded them and their uses. She commented that back then in the bush and definitely in the city, one never saw tons of fruit laying on the ground after they had fallen from trees. Someone (or something) was always their to make use of the fruit. However today people dont take advantage of the fruits an other things surrounding them. Now they just go to the supermercado and by a $.50 box of macaroni and cheese hecho en los Estados Unidos.