Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Panama: Mi Comentario
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7173&mesg_id=7230
7230, RE: Panama: Mi Comentario
Posted by Archaic, Fri Aug-16-02 08:52 PM
Hey Solarus, I've really been enjoying your commentary, especially because I spent so much time in Panama as a kid back in the 70's. Back then both sides of my family were based in Panama. My paternal grandfather was a ship's captain who was paid to guide vessels through the canal. And my maternal grandfather was an engineer who worked on the Gatun locks. Both of my parents and all of my aunts and uncles graduated from Cristobal High School. Over the years everyone of them has moved to the States, but at family gatherings Panama is always a prominent topic. Everyone of us misses it so much.

I used to love to venture through neighborhoods that had no fences, pulling fruit from any tree. A walk into the jungle is never too far away. My grandpa used to capture insects and then embalm them. My uncle still has a huge wooden case filled with some of the freakiest bugs anyone in the States could ever even imagine. Have you ever seen a giant rhinosaurus beetle? Holy shit. And I can still say that some of the best fishing that I've ever done was in Gatun Lake. Also I got a chance to visit the San Blas islands, where Molas come from. That was a great trip not only because I got to interact with such a primitive culture, but also because of the snorkeling. Indeed the Pacific coast is gorgeous. And you're right to think that Colon is a hip city. Too bad that the train connecting the coasts got shut down a few years back. That really hurt Panama in a big way. What I remember the most about Panama City, aside from playing in a basketball league there in 1981, is the altar of gold and eating at some Italian spot that served up the best clams that I have ever had.

Anyway I could go on for days. But it does hurt that it's been 21 years since I last visted Panama. So in the meantime I am living vicariously through you. I just hope that you get the chance to see other parts of the country, because there is much beauty all around you.