Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7173&mesg_id=7197
7197, RE: Las Polìticas de Raza
Posted by FireBrand, Thu Aug-08-02 07:14 AM
Interesting...so it is the same in panama as in Jamaica as far as the Dreds go eh? Most regular folk aint having it, and many rastas are looked upon with disdais- cept fi de ute dem.

As far as the racial dynamics...yeah. It's a trip to see the diversity for the first time, when u always picture the islands as a homogenouse group. In Jamaica the Chinese population has dwindled since the implementaion of Anti-Chinese immigration practices, but you still have East Indians, Blacks, Jews, A few spainards, and some English holdovers.

I never left the back country when going back to JA- so I coudn't tell u how the racial shit worked. Out tv only picked up one channel, and all I saw were blacks.

-------------
Negril Sunset...

"Well, when your every breath and will to live is an act of resistance, you cannot help but be 'too political'. To do otherwise is to hide, to live in denial and defeat." --ArabHottie

" If we can't learn to live together despite the turmoil of past generations we are doomed." -Stern

"And where today is the stable community that would sustain such a couple, where one can be both poor and diginified and raise one's children with decency and hope... If the answer is education, does our society adequateley provide that tool of self-improvement to the less well off?"-- Sidney Poitier

" I'm not mad 'cus I'm losing! I'm mad 'cus I don't know how to win!" --Kevin Curtis Daniels Jr.

"And herein lies the tragedy of the age: not that men are poor,-all men know something of poverty; not that men are wicked,-who is good? Not that men are ignorant, -what is Truth? Nay, but that men know so little of men."
W.E.B. Dubois