Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: The Latinization of Afrikens
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7173&mesg_id=7186
7186, RE: The Latinization of Afrikens
Posted by Brooklynbeef, Tue Aug-06-02 11:46 AM
In the minds of many it does preclude. Example:
In my neighborhood if your your father is Guyanese and your mother is African-American then a common response would be my father is Guyanese and my mom is American or from down South. The recognition being that there is a nationality difference not racial. One would not commonly say my mom is Black and my father is Guyanese even though everyone from Guyana is an Afriken. People often say in an african-American Latino coupling, well my moms is Black and my pops is puerto rican/spanish/Dominican/latino which gives the impression that one can not be Black or of African descent and speak spanish at the same time. That is not to say all Latinos are Black but many are and all Gauyanese are not Black but one does n't say my mother is Black or my pops is Guyanaese. So unfortunately in the minds of many the two groups are mutually exclusive. Futhermore check out okayhomo's Multiculturalism and assimilation must cease thread.

more at 11......