Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7173&mesg_id=7175
7175, Las Cosas Cambién
Posted by Solarus, Mon Aug-05-02 02:50 PM

The last time I was here was in 1990 right after the Christmas of ´89 when the US invaded Panama to bring their prized pupil, Manuel Noreiga, to ¨justice.¨ (Wait a minute didn´t this just happen?)

US = Broken Record

Anyways right now I´m staying with my mother´s cousin who is now a 60ish grandmother who stays with her husband, two daughters and two grandkids from anoter daughter who is a work-by-day, school-by-night single mother. My prima de mama lives at the same house she did 12 years ago that is only about 10 minutes from the airport. I plan on staying here for only a short while until I contact my other relative and family friends (and until I get my luggage).

For those that don´t know, the US once had military bases in Panama and controlled the Panama Canal. Since 2000, they left the bases and turned control of the Canal back to the Panamanian government. But the heavy footprint of America is still very blatant, almost moreso than before.

Mi prima de madre lives on the outskirts of Panama Province, which I remembered as being in the “boondocks.” Now there are KFCs, McDonald´s, Blockbusters and imitation American stores all around. One clothing store in the area had a huge sign for all to see saying, “American Clothing Has Just Arived!” (in español of course).

Even the neighborhood that mi prima lives in has changed. Her house didn´t but more houses have sprouted up in the area, that are bigger and more expensive. This used to be a “poor” neighborhood as pre-”US exodus” there were 2 classes “rich and poor” (have and have-nots). Now there are 3 classes “upper, middle, and lower” (have a lot, have something, don´t have shit) of course with its varying degrees but not as extreme in variations as in the US. Although that may sound like an improvement, all I´ll say now is that things have changed and I can´t necessarily say for the better.

...continuaré luego...