Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecthas anyone read his book?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=6958&mesg_id=6996
6996, has anyone read his book?
Posted by delsbrothergeorge, Thu Oct-31-02 08:53 AM
i can't find it in my bookstore, but i've seen it available to order online.

based on what i've read in the two posted editorials, i believe the cat has endeavored to analyze and critique from the outsider's perspective.

frankly, i thought there were a couple of valid points in his writings (notably the talk about caricatures), but i think he's mostly way off-base ('specially when it comes to talk of the nge and racism).

obviously, the cat doesn't understand the experience of walking around in brown (or other) skin. i suppose he might argue that his yiddish roots provide him with enough credibility to articulate the african experience. but that would be akin to an oppression olympics and that's a pissing contest no one wins.

the real shame in this lies with the response from mainstream entities. will they accept his opinion as fact? will there ever come a time when public perception doesn't villify hip hop?

sadly, i think the answer to the former is yes. ever sadder, the latter can be answered no.