Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Some additional rebuttals
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=693&mesg_id=820
820, RE: Some additional rebuttals
Posted by MALACHI, Sat May-22-04 11:16 AM

>Response: Uh you forgot the part of how athanasius was also
>banned and cornered at his house by non trinitarians and had
>to sneek out of the back in order to save his own life. And
>you also forgot to mention that the reason for the council
>being so late was becuase of church persecution, if members
>of the church were to gather together in one spot, they
>would be in a world of trouble.
Point being? So he got chased out of his house...so what? If I, not believing in the trinity, chased you, a trinitarian, out of your house, does that mean your belief is true? NOPE. And church persecution, hindering some from attending really doesn't matter either. The fact of the matter is ALL OF THE ATTENDEES DID NOT AGREE ON THE TRINITARIAN HEAVY BIAS THAT CAME OUT OF IT. But through POLITICAL THREATS, the PAGAN FOUNDATION WAS LAID. Both of these are non-points.

>By the way I notice that non of your qoutes have
>page numbers of books that one could go and research this
>for themselves. I can show you my source for church
>fathers.
I know you aren't implying that I made up the sources...is that what you are doing? I named the authors and the books, if any one thinks I'm lying, read these books and TELL ME I MADE THEM UP...I GUARANTEE NO ONE CAN. Now you are REACHING.

>Response: Actually the word Jehovah is not in the Bible
>either, but that never stopped you guys.
Now you are REALLY REACHING. If you wanna get down like that, the name "Jesus" isn't in there either. You want me to thouroughly explain why I use the name "Jehovah"? Because it is the best known ENGLISH pronunciation of the divine name, AND I SPEAK ENGLISH.(And yes, I know "Yahweh" is favored by many Hebrew scholars.) The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of 4 consonants called the Tetragrammaton, these four letters are generally transliterated into English as YHWH or JHVH. All of the Hebrew letters are unknown, and vowel points did not come into use in Hebrew until the second half of the first millenium C.E. On top of that, because of superstition, the vowel pointing found in Hebrew manuscripts doesn't provide the key for determining which vowels should appear in the divine name. So THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS: Because NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE how the divine name was EXACTLY pronounced in ancient Hebrew, there is NO REASON I should stop saying "Jehovah" which is ACCEPTED IN ENGLISH. If I was gonna stop saying "Jehovah", to be consistent, I wouldn't say "Jeremiah" AS ACCEPTED IN ENGLISH, I would say "Yirmeyah"; I wouldn't say "Isaiah", AS ACCEPTED IN ENGLISH, I would say "Yesha'ya'hu";AND (here comes the clincher here...)I WOULDN'T SAY "JESUS" AS ACCEPTED IN ENGLISH, I WOULD SAY "YEHOH SHU'A'"(as in Hebrew) or "I E SOUS'"(as in Greek). So LOGICALLY, you can't have a problem with the use of the name "Jehovah", because it is an ACCEPTED pronunciation of the divine name in English...If you have a problem with the the use of "Jehovah", that means you have a problem with the name "Jesus", which you OBVIOUSLY DON'T. See what I mean by selective rule application? GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BULL.

>Response: Well I have explained it pretty well so far, any
>questions?
No you haven't, and no I don't have any questions, because I knew you couldn't explain it. Go explain it to the Pope, since he says it's an "inscrutable mystery."