Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Christ as Wisdom
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=693&mesg_id=749
749, RE: Christ as Wisdom
Posted by osoclasi, Wed May-26-04 04:28 AM
>This is interesting, because Christ seemed to identify
>himself as such.

Response: First of all before you go jumping out of context, in Proverbs wisdom is used as a guide for living a godly life style. Therefore proverbs 8 should be read in light of proverbs 1-9 since they all have the same context. For instance if Christ is wisdom who are understading and knowledge in Proverbs 3:19-20? It si obvious that wisdom is being personified here and as I stated before you do not personify people. Futhermore wisdom is also a she Proverbs 9:1 not a he.
>
>Luke 11:49 On this account the wisdom of God also said, 'I
>will send forth to them prophets and apostles, and they
>will kill and persecute some of them,
>
>Now note the following.
>
>Matthew 23:34 For this reason, here I am sending forth to
>YOU prophets and wise men and public instructors. Some of
>them YOU will kill and impale, and some of them YOU will
>scourge in YOUR synagogues and persecute from city to city;
>
>The words are Christ's words, though he attributes them to
>Wisdom, which he himself is. Hence the Apostle Paul makes
>the identification as well.

Response: But you are reading the NT back into the OT, I will comment after the 1 Cor passage.
>
>1 Corinthians 1:24 however, to those who are the called,
>both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the
>wisdom of God.

Response: Calling Christ the wisdom of God is fine, however, the context of Matt,Luke and Cor is different than that of Proverbs, for one in the NT usage, Christ being called wisdom means that he is the wisdom to salvation. In Proverbs however, Wisdom is being used as wisdom to living a godly life, as noted above you have ignored the intended context in which proverbs must be read. I will be back later on I gotta run to work.
>