Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectChrist as Wisdom
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=693&mesg_id=746
746, Christ as Wisdom
Posted by guest, Tue May-25-04 04:20 PM
Osoclasi,

You deny that Christ the personifier of Wisdom? Are you aware this is against all of the ANF? Consider the following:

Hilary of Poitiers, On the Trinity, Book I, para. 44, 45. "And so Wisdom, after declaring that it is mindful to speak of the things which date from the beginning of the ages, says, The Lord created Me for the beginning of His ways for His works, by these words denoting things performed from the date of the beginning of the ages. . . And first, since Christ is Wisdom, we must see whether He is Himself the beginning of the way of the works of God."

Tertullian, Against Praxeas, Chapter VII. The Son likewise acknowledges the Father, speaking in His own person, under the name of Wisdom: "The Lord formed Me as the beginning of His ways, with a view to His own works; before all the hills did He beget Me."

St. Aurelius Augustin, A Treatise on Faith and the Creed, Chapter IV, para. 6. "There is a reference to this in the word, 'The Lord created me in the beginning of His ways.' For the beginning of His ways is the Head of the Church, which is Christ..."

Those are just a few of MANY. Most commentators agree that Jesus is wisdom as well. The New Jerusalem Bible explains in a footnote on Prov. 8 (p. 977e): "John in his prologue attributes the characteristics of creative Wisdom to the Word, and his Gospel throughout representis Christ as the Wisdom of God…. Hence, Christian tradition from St Justin onwards sees the in the Wisdom of the OT the person of Christ himself."

Regards,
Tony