Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectGrandville Sharp's rule
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=693&mesg_id=741
741, Grandville Sharp's rule
Posted by osoclasi, Fri May-21-04 07:06 AM
>>
>osoclasi is trying to argue that this proves the Trinity.
>This is another example of "selective translating" in an
>attempt to prove this shaky doctrine. A more accurate
>reading would be:
>
>"while we wait for the happy hope and glorious manifestation
>of the great God and of the Savior of us, Christ Jesus."

Response: Actually no, Greek does not have commas. :)
>
>Using whatever translation of the Bible osoclasi is using,

Response: I am using the GNT. (Greek New Testament) I told you that I study Greek and Hebrew.

>it might be construed that Jesus is both Almighty God and
>Savior, but the same rule of translation is not applied in
>translating 2 Thessalonians 1:12 or Titus 1:4. YOU CAN'T
>APPLY RULES OF TRANSLATING GREEK ONLY WHEN IT FITS IN
>"DEFENSE" OF THE TRINITY, AND NOT APPLY THEM OTHER TIMES.

Response: I did'nt those verses do not share the same construction as Titus 2:13. Well 2 Thess does but Titus 1:4 does not. Notice the following...

In Greek we have a rule called Grandville Sharp's rule inwhich when you see the construction article substantive kai substantive
it is refering to the same person. But the substantive cannot be impersonal, plural, or abstract. If you think I am making this up look in Greek Grammer Beyond the Basics by Daniel B Wallace.

For instance in 1 Peter we have...

ho theos kai pater tou Kuriou.

the God and Father of our Lord, now notice you have the article ho followed by the substantive Theos, the conjuction kai, then substantive Pater(Father), so God and Father is refering to the same person. Same with Titus 2:13 without commas :)

Titus 2:13
tou megalou theou kai soteros our Iesou Christou

Article: tou, substantive :theou, conjuction kai: substantive Iesou. So we Our great God and saviour Jesus Chirst is refering to the same person.

Now your verses 2 Thess 1:12 agrees with Grandville Sharp therefore Paul is saying our God and Jesus Christ are the same person. But Titus 1:4 does not...

apo Theou patros kai Christou Iesou.

Notice there is no article there, so this falls out of Grandville Sharp's rule.