Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: aorist tense
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=693&mesg_id=709
709, RE: aorist tense
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sat May-22-04 09:18 AM
>Sometimes people describe it as a snap shot. Like when you
>take a picture of something.

Thanks, that was a good analogy. I think I get it now.

>I read your post and that comment about comparing Jesus to
>light went right over my head.

Well, wave-particle duality basically explains that light simultaneously exibits properties of both a wave and a particle. This was long thought to be impossible, classical physics said it had to be either one or the other. So scientists debated over this for centuries, whether light was a wave or a particle. In the 1800's they found proof that it acts like a wave, so it became the widely accepted view that light was a wave. Then Einstein proved that light also acts as a particle (this is actually what he won the Nobel Prize for, not his theory of relativity).

So that really boggled peoples' minds, because they couldn't understand how it could act as both a wave and a particle, since that was counter-intuitive and seemed impossible according to classical physics. It was not fully understood or reconciled theoretically until quantum mechanics fully developed a bit later.

Anyway, the comparison I was making is to the theological debate over the nature of Jesus as to whether he is human, divine, or both at the same time. That was one of the big debates they had in the early church, and it seems to be a major theological point of contention people have against Christians that he can't be both at the same time - I'm sure you've heard that one before.

Anyway, it seems like an interesting parallel to the scientific debate over the nature of light, whether it was a particle, a wave, or both, because scientists used to have the same arguments, they said it had to be either one or the other. But it turned out that it's actually both at the same time.

I don't know if that explained it or just confused you more, but that's what I was talking about.

-------------------------------------------------
"And do you know why I think he (George W. Bush)
is so pissed off at Arabs? They invented algebra."

- Kurt Vonnegut