Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Devil's advocate:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=693&mesg_id=705
705, RE: Devil's advocate:
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri May-21-04 03:43 PM
>Response: Oh yeah that is interesting.

Yeah, Ethiopian names tend to be pretty religious in nature. My dad's full name translates into English as "Son of Zion, born of the Light." But I only got the 'Light' part in my last name... that's what I get for being a heathen I guess. (Although I should have gotten the Son of Zion part instead, but that's a long story)

>And everytime John refers to the Logos he uses the imperfect
>tense, to illustrate his eternality. Imperfect tense means
>a continuous action in the past, i.e I was eating. It is
>past tense but is continious, evertime John refers to the
>Logos he uses this tense, and for everything else he uses
>the aorist tense, which has completion all the way up to
>verse 18.

What's the aorist tense again? I remember you talking about it being some tense in the Greek, but I forget what it is exactly.

>Response; Let me ask, how can they have person if they are
>not personal? Unless my qoute was wrong.

No the quote is right, but it doesn't explain the whole picture: Brahman itself is not personal, but Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva are. They each share in the infinite, eternal being/essence/substance of Brahman, but they are individually personal and so have person, while Brahman itself is beyond the personal. It's kinda complicated, but that's how it breaks down to my understanding.

>Response; Well I would have to take your word on that one. I
>am not super in depth with the Hindu gods.

I'm not super in-depth with them either, but that's the basic gist of it.

>Response:Well then again, I am not a hindu scholar. Just
>know alot bout Christian doctrine and know when I hear
>something different.

Well it is still quite different in their nature, but the being vs. personal framework you laid out essentially works the same as far as I can see.

>>(BTW, the solid/liquid/gas illustration could work at the
>>triple point, which is the temp & pressure point at which
>>all 3 phases coexist in equilibrium. But I doubt that T.D.
>>Jakes guy knows about that.)
>
>Response; Yeah that is true, I forgot about that.

Yeah, Christian apologetics should really brush up on their science, they could do a much better job explaining things. Like with explaining how Christ is both human and divine in nature at the same time: the wave-particle duality of light (where the physical nature of light is both a wave and a particle at the same time) plays absolutely perfectly into that, not to mention the "Light" symbolism playing perfectly into it... I'm surprised y'all haven't jumped all over that one already. (jeez, I almost sound like a Christian apologetic there myself - scary!)

-------------------------------------------------
"And do you know why I think he (George W. Bush)
is so pissed off at Arabs? They invented algebra."

- Kurt Vonnegut