Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectOK, this might get confusing, but bear with me here...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=6549&mesg_id=6602
6602, OK, this might get confusing, but bear with me here...
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Sep-09-02 08:47 PM
In Ethiopia, Tigray is both the name of the ethnic group and the region they're from, while Tigrinya is the language they speak. The Tigre are a different group in Eritrea who speak Tigre, a related but separate language. I don't know what the difference in pronounciation between Tigray and Tigre is, I guess it's where you place the accent or something. Anyway, the Tigre in Eritrea are not to be confused with the Tigrinya-speaking people of Eritrea, who are ethnically and culturally the same as the Tigray of Ethiopia, but call themselves Tigrinya instead of Tigray (probably to specify that they are from Eritrea and not Tigray province in Ethiopia). The Tigray in Ethiopia are also called Tigrayan (I think), but my father is Tigray (from Axum) and I never heard him or my uncle call themselves that, they just say Tigray, so that's what I go with.

But it sounds like kemetian is talking about the Tigray - I don't think there are many Tigre in Addis, and Tigray women are the ones who wear the distinctive hairstyle with the cornrows over the crown of the head and then the big fuzzy blowout at the back.

Anyway, that's the type of confusion you get with all the different ethnic groups and languages and all that. My mom's still trying to grasp the whole Oromo/Galla thing.