Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectYour fiancee is Gurage?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=6549&mesg_id=6599
6599, Your fiancee is Gurage?
Posted by kemetian, Sun Sep-08-02 08:20 PM
i've been meaning to do a thread on the different ethnic groups. i think most ppl seem to be familiar with the Amhara b/c i think the models ppl have been seeing from Ethiopia are from that ethnic group. but there's Oromo (one of the ppl i am staying with is Oromo) and Gurage and Tigre (they do the most wonderful hairstyles and i love seeing their dancing).

>>did they make
>>>dabo fitfit (faranji fitfit) for u?
>>
>>yes, that is the most wonderful smell to wake up to in the
>>morning.
>
>My fiancee recommends that you have enkulale fir-fir, if you
>haven't -- but maybe that's another word for berbere eggs.

yes i've had that, it's wonderful. i also had she-shepsa. it's like little bits of dough that've been fried with berbere all up in it for courst (brkfst). my favorite tho' is this flat bread: Ket'a (it's sort of like chapati) with eggs in the middle.

>Try eating ketfo with kohjoh (Gurage traditional meal).

um, i'm sorry i can't get down with raw meat, and please believe me, i respect ppl's culture, but i'll definitely have to just be an observer of that.

>(You should see about visiting a Gurage family during Meskel as it is a particularly important occasion for them.)

i don't really know how to go about doing that, but i'll ask if my hosts have any Gurage friends.
>
>Make sure and bring back berbere and kibbeh so you can cook
>here (as though you won't have enough weight in your
>luggage). But we've found out the hard way that these
>should not be packed with the clothes!

LOL, i plan to. that and metu-met and i might have to ship some cases of Ambo (i could live off of that), and um Ariel washing powder, that stuff got wat stain out of the wrap for the Indian outfit i wore to the wedding, (amazing) in 2 sec.

>
>>>shashemone is all the way down south and axum is all the way
>>>up top- which direction are ya headed in?
>>
>>Both baby!!!! Prolly Sheshemone first.
>
>My fiancee recommends that you definitely visit Shashemene,
>and also Wondo Genet while you are down there.

yes that was the plan. i believe the first trip after Addis Amet (new year) is to the healing springs of Ntoto. that place has healed ppl of AIDS, converted Muslims to Orthodox Christianity among other things.

>Also, if you do go to Axum, be sure and visit Lalibela on
>the way (you probably knew that).
>
>From Addis, make day trips to Nazareth (a.k.a. Adama) (where my fiancee is from) and Sodere (a resort/spa where it would be really nice to relax).

tell your fiancee thanks much for the tips!