Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThere's a fine line between Islam and culture....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=6399&mesg_id=6429
6429, There's a fine line between Islam and culture....
Posted by Abdurrashid, Mon Nov-11-02 11:56 AM

And this one of a cultural issue labeled as an Islamic way of life. I'm going to put myself out here on a limb for minute. I can definitely relate to this story in many ways because I was engaged to a Somalian woman two years ago who later moved from the states back home to Birmingham England. And If I'm not mistaken, she used to call me from this same community in the Netherlands because she used to visit one of her favorite cousins there. Saying all of this, she took a job as an interpreter in Birmingham and she used to tell me horrible stories about how some of the women in her mothers community were harshly treated and how newly immigrants would sit at the police station pretending to be crazy or they pleaded their case that they had no family back home because of the fear that they might be deported back the Somalia or they were being beaten by their husbands there in England.
But anyway, if this is the same community she used to call me from, yeah its a pretty tight communial unit that is ran on a tight system. I mean I heard about women being beaten by their husbands but I never heard of Somalian women being confined to their homes. I think that is crap...

But the main point is that Islam doesn't condone in the beating of or the mistreatment of women in Islam period. It just like saying wearing a Burhka in Afghanistan is mandatory...no its not..there's no ruling that women are obligated to wear face veils or not to speak in public. Its simply a matter of it being a cultural issue. I do however feel that there needs to be something done about theses misconceptions though.....

"The camel never sees its own hump but that of its brothers is always before its eyes"- N.African proverb