Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectpumpkin pie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=6362&mesg_id=6374
6374, pumpkin pie
Posted by guerilla_love, Tue Nov-19-02 03:55 AM
Tofu Pumpkin Pie
(from Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook)

crust

2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margarine (I've started using Spectrum Margarine, & I really like it in crusts)
1 tsp salt
3 to 4 tbs cold water

filling

1 lb firm tofu (I use silken)
1 16-oz can pureed pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/3 c safflower oil
5 tbs candied ginger, chopped (or 1 tsp ground ginger)

crust:

combine the flour, margarine, & salt in a food processor using the standard cutting blade. process for 30 seconds. add the water through the feed tub & process the dough to form a ball. wrap the dough in plastic wrap or wax paper & chill at least 30 mins. then roll out the dough with a rolling pin & place it in a 10-inch tart pan or deep dish pie pan. set aside.

filling:

preheat the oven to 350F. combine all the filling ingredients except the candied ginger in a food processor or blender (if using ground ginger, add it at this time). process until smooth, about 3 minutes. add 3 tbs candied ginger & process 30 seconds more. pour the filling into the crust & bake 1 hour. let cool. place the remaining 2 tbs candied ginger in the food processor or blender & process until coarsely ground. sprinkle over the pie. serve warm or chilled.

(I like to combine the two kinds of ginger -- I use the tsp of ground ginger in the pie, then sprinkle the 2tbs of candied ginger on top.)