Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Assimilation.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=6242&mesg_id=6300
6300, RE: Assimilation.
Posted by cued, Wed Jan-15-03 01:41 AM
What I don't understand is when did Black communities supposedly become... non-diverse?

I don't get it. I read posts about Africans not wanting their children to identify with their poor cousins. I read posts about African-Americans being stank to their African cousins...

Lemme take it back to the country -- everything was simple back there. You needn't say you were Black/black because it was written all over you. What kind of Black/black you were -- well, that's what getting to know you was about -- but I don't remember a push to make everything into one homogeneous Black/black stew.

When I think of places like New York or ATL, I think of Black/black people from _wherever_ mixing it up because at the end of the day -- we only have each other.

So, I feel like I am missing something here because I keep hearing it. Did someone sent a note out that said all Black/black people were the same... or are Black/black people starting to buy into the Eurocentric notion of individuality?

Q