Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Sports
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=6242&mesg_id=6263
6263, RE: Sports
Posted by Kozmikblak, Tue Jan-14-03 06:00 AM
We are those teachers. Take your child or a child and be there mentor. Me and a friend of mine had this discussion just the other day. The lack of mentors.

In answer to a previous post of why certain career paths are lacking black interest is simple. All our visibly successful people are in some form of entertainment. My son who is very good with math dreams of being a sports star of some kind. I'm not mad at him its all he sees of a skewed perception of a definition of successful black men. It's up to me as a parent to teach and show him otherwise. It's our job as black men, black fathers, to show them other paths, and definitions of success. We have to present to them the ruler by which to measure success. Show them the importance of Sciences, Engineering, Leadership at all levels. I make my son read at family gatherings, teach him leadership skills. Teach them the importance of their role in our communities and the future of our people.

"I don't blame Tiger Woods, but I overstand the mental poison that's even worse than drugs" -nas poison

"For trees to grow in Brooklyn seeds need to be planted. I asked, "can you feel it?" and the crowd left me stranded" -Talib kweli

"Hip Hop, a way of life it doesn't tell you how to raise a child or treat a wife" -Q-tip A tribe called Quest

"...Cats sipping champaign to toast death and pain like slaves on a ship talking about who has the flyest chain" -Talib Kweli Black Star

"We're the renegades we're the people with our own philosophy, we change the course of history. Everyday people like you and me." Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic force Renegades of funk