Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Wanna be Malcolm's
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5967&mesg_id=6103
6103, RE: Wanna be Malcolm's
Posted by ya Setshego, Tue Feb-25-03 10:06 AM
Could not agree w/ you more. It's quite schizophrenic if you ask me. I was thinking about this topic you raise when I was listening to Nas' "God's Son". First of all, the Brothah has a Malcolm X "By Any Means Necessary" shirt on inside the CD. Every other song on the CD is about fucking bitches, or something to that effect( I actually could not make it through the entire CD-I couldn't take it any longer). Yet, he has 2 or 3 songs on the CD lamenting the illness and eventual death of his mother. He even WHINES about Jay Z attacking him lyrically while he was on hiatus from the rap game, tending to his mother while she was sick. I was thinking to myself, 'I wonder how Nas would feel if his father referred to his revered mother as "some ho he decided to fuck, which is how he was conceived"' I mean, seriously. These women that these men are dogging out, even AFTER they bear their children, are MOTHERS! Someday, their babies will revere the very same women that these Brothahs defile, and show open disdain for, in rap songs, books THEY write, or in r-n-b songs.

I attended a workshop where a Brothah eloquently professed his love for his mother, and three sisters, but in the same breath stated that he keeps 3 or 4 girlfriends at a time, and lies to and cheats on everyone of them. I thought to myself, AGAIN, 'How would you feel if a Brothah treated your mother like that, or your sisters, whom you claim to love so much?!" What they(Brothahs) do to one Sistah, they do to ALL Sistahs, because we are part, and parcel of one another. So these rappers, comedians(I've seen Chris Rock do this too), basketballers, et.al. really are disrespecting the younger image of their mothers that they buy these million dollar homes for, and diamonds for days, out of respect and reverance, but shirk paying child-support for the mother of their OWN children. This applies to the regular Brothah on the steet TOO, who might not be able to afford the million dollar home for his 'mama', but gives her money when he can, or what-have-you, but will take jobs where his money comes from 'under-the-table', so that it cannot be tracked for child support. I mean, how low and despicable is THAT?~!

Don't get me started on this PLEASE. I get a headache just thinking about the madness, the irony, and ridiculousness of it all...