Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectYou are right.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5967&mesg_id=6084
6084, You are right.
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Feb-27-03 10:11 AM

I understand you then. And I agree with you, about Sistahs defining their own destinies, and not having Brothahs define their place in the world FOR them. It seems to me though, that a Sistah would WANT to take on certain roles w/in their families. A Brothah should not have to TELL you that. But that's just me. All Sistahs don't want families, and many Sistahs don't even want men these days. I acknowledge that. I know you are not saying that though. I think you are saying that you want a Brothah who is liberated enough to respect you doing your own thang, and be supportive of that, whether you decide to be a housewife, or a CEO. Is that correct?

>>Clearly, more women need to be @ the table
>>when there is coalition-building, and strategizing going on.
>>In relationships w/ them though, what purpose does it serve
>>to go toe-to-toe w/ them, in a verbal contest?
>
>Like I said before it is not based on competition.

I disagree that that has nothing to do w/ womanhood. It can apply to other situations, but I definitely see this as a part of womanhood.

>> Should I argue back-and-forth w/ these
>>'Brothahs', until they agree w/ me? No. I can express my
>>pov, and keep moving.
>
>That has nothing to do with womanhood. It just makes sense
>to do that.

>>Or, I can live by example, and let
>>them sit back, and notice.
We are talking about Brothahs though, so I was specifically applying my pov to our interactions w/ them.
>>Once again that can apply to relations with anybody

>> do you suppose that will happen to you? What did your
>mother work so hard for? SO that you can work 3 jobs and
>take care of the kids too? SHOULD it happen to you?

Yes, the story would have been different, had she not had children. She would have gone into the army, and done her own thang. Maybe not have married @ all. I asked her if she regretted not going down that Life Path once, and she said no, because the joys of motherhood outweigh the sorrows.

I don't think that she has considered whether or not I would be placed in the same situation as she was, if I were to marry. If I did end up in that situation, I don't think she would see it as "abnormal", or something that I couldn't 'live up to', because SHE did it. Now, whether or not "I" would want to end up in a situation like that or not, is another story.

>>Would
>the story have been different if children were not around?

We are getting off the topic. I think we should continue the discussion though, in a broader context, in another thread.

<< I
>think that we are getting off of the point here.