Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI do
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5967&mesg_id=6080
6080, I do
Posted by ya Setshego, Wed Feb-26-03 06:25 AM
think that this applies to ALL Sistahs. Again, I'm not talking about a women "staying in her place", like she is being oppressed in some way. If you don't understand the Sun/Moon Energy thing, the only thing I can do is refer you to the work of Jewel Pookrum, MD, and to the book, Moon Magick. Those sources can enlighten you far more than I can in one post.

You are right, so much emphasis HAS been placed on the Endangered Black Male, that Sistahs are being neglected, and overlooked for opportunities. I have experienced this personally in graduate school. Of course, we should assert ourselves in those situations, in attempt to get proper attending to.

In terms of us adjusting to their needs as Brothahs, and wondering who will address OUR needs? Them. That is THEIR job. Those that are doing shabby versions of this are what the original poster was addressing. It's a reciprocal thang. Don't you think it's possible for us to rise in responsibility, and look out for one another? IF we turn our backs on them because they have behaved in trifling ways, then what? After you blaze your own path, and ascend to the pinnacle of wherever you are trying to go, are you planning on just sticking w/ other Sistahs, and saying to hell w/ Brothahs for not being stand-up guys? I mean, what are YOU proposing is the answer after we blaze our respective paths?
>>Just because you are not silent and refuse to be put in some
>>gendered category does not mean that you are in competition
>>with a brother. I mean what you are saying *sounds* nice for
>>real, but it is the same thing that I hear from sexist men I
>>talk to. The undercurrent still sounds like a “women have
>>their place and they should make the most of it” kind of
>>thing. It is like when folks try and convince black people
>>that racism does not exist and we should make the most of
>>the opportunities that we have. I understand that men and
>>women are different, but I believe a lot of that is mainly
>>due to socialization. Like I said before that may be your
>>path, and what is best for you. But I should hope you don’t
>>believe that is the place for all women.