Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectU don't
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5967&mesg_id=6074
6074, U don't
Posted by ya Setshego, Tue Feb-25-03 12:12 PM
have to stay @ home to get these things done. My mother worked three jobs, AND managed to do a Soul Food-type Sunday dinner for us every week(Week-days she did breakfast, and dinner was left-overs, or a free-for-all. hey, w/ 3 damn jobs, SOMEthing had to give, right?) Unfortunately, what she was feeding us was a typical Soul Food diet, so it was not on point nutritionally. Now I don't have children, but I can DEFINITELY speak to the difference that I have made in Brothah's diets by simply being in a relationship with them, and being the one who prepares the food. It is not a FIGHT THE POWER, stand on a soapbox w/ a bullhorn, kind of stance, but it IS powerful, and CAN make a difference. Even when babysitting other folk's children, I've done the same thing. My best friend's daughter was EIGHT YEARS OLD before she had ever had greens before! That was over my house. When I gave her her plate, she was like, "What is THAT?" I said, "You've never seen greens before? Not even @ Thanksgiving?!" "No," she answered innocently. "We eat potatoes @ Thanksgiving. And creamed corn." I thought to myself, 'Damn. Even the corn has to be defiled.' I didn't speak a word more. I just gave her the greens, because I did not want to call her mother out to her like that. Next time I saw my friend, when we were alone, I started talking to her non-chalantly about diet. When she was pregnant most recently, she asked me to bring her some food in the hospital, to give her a break from hospital food. My mother gave me a hard time about not buying her a burger. I brought her a salad, with tea. She was like, "Wow. What is this lettuce you've put in here? It's not white and brown, like regular lettuce. Is it supposed to be healthier for you." "Yes," I replied. "It's called romaine lettuce." I know this is off the original topic, but you know, to paraphrase Talib Kweli again, silence can be as loud as a clap of thunder. THAT is how women best exert our power: SILENTLY, and SUBTLELY. It's taken me 3 decades to learn that.
>
>but it comes down to whether the women do stay home
>(kitchen, stove, etc etc) do so out of choice....and then
>also, brother need to support and appreciate them in that
>too...