Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti have to disagree.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5967&mesg_id=6037
6037, i have to disagree.
Posted by LexM, Tue Feb-25-03 04:18 AM
>>It's like some brothers preach and preach and PREACH! of
>>uplifting Black minds and providing better futures for Black
>>children, yet they'll cheat and lie to the woman/women they
>>share their bed and bodies with.
>
>Well thats between the man and the woman he has a
>relationship with. His actions in bed doesnt make the truths
>he speak any less truthful.

it depends on the situation at hand. if you have committed yourself to this person and you betray that commitment (when you HAVE agreed to a "westernized standard" or whatever), your carelessness is going to cause pain & suffering to those closest to you. one indiscretion is one thing, but several?

and even outside of that...i know exactly what the poster means. i've seen soooo many "conscious" brothers treat their women like shit. whether thru subordination, mental abuse, or just plain disrespect. yet they claim to be working for the good of us all...you can't have it both ways. to build a strong community you have to strengthen the mothers of that community...

in some situations, i think it might be more feasible to separate the person from the message, i.e. the music business.

but when you are trying to uplift a community, be an example of your people's greatness, you have to hold yourself to a higher standard and work towards it constantly. that personal example will allow you to be a greater force in your community.

e.g., a reverend/preacher has NO business being a "dog". his/her own faith considers that sort of behavior taboo. in that situation, the person is a vessel for the divine. they should be the best human beings they can possibly be, and that requires faithfulness to a spouse.

"The IAEA's experience in nuclear verification shows that it is possible, particularly with an intrusive verification system, to assess the presence or absence of a nuclear weapons program in a state even without the full co-operation of the inspected state." ~Mohamed ElBaradei

guess what? there's only one planet. nukes = homelessness.