Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: The Truth is.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5967&mesg_id=6023
6023, RE: The Truth is.....
Posted by Cre8, Thu Feb-27-03 08:29 AM
In truth his good works (which really do outweigh his bad) should be noted first, however you have folks that will feast upon the negative (i.e.) Barbershop. Not once did they mention the good stuff King did, but took 15mins or more to joke on King being a hoe and celebrating Kings birthday by getting your freak on. Now this may not seem like a big hubbub to folks, however shorties(teens/kids) that can comprehend got a kick out of this and despite all of the celebrations throughout elementary school in recognition of King and his good works, none of the kids I heard knew even one line beyond 'I have a dream' of Dr. Kings 'I have a dream' speech, but were quick to quote Cedric the Entertainers lines word for word.

No we can't hide the truth of situations, I don't wish to, however if someone decides to place themselves on the forefront of moral standing, then they need to live up to it. This doesn't just go for the community leaders and headstrong activist, but for the preachers/priest and teachers too.
How you gone lead a community when your home life is in shambles?
How you gone call yourself an activist from 9-5 and then de-activate yourself after hours?
How you gone preach to a congregation on the right way to live when your not practicing it yourself?
How you gone call yourself a teacher but teach half-ass, and if a teacher's own child is not doing well in school or being abused at home then why would a parent subject their child to them?

Last bit of rant. I do appreciate the things that Dr.King stood for and was about, but its quite a harsh blow when you know there are people that wish to do nothing more than destroy a positive being because of his faults or shortcomings. Knowing what we know today of how our leaders were probed, it would seem that folks that claim themselves leaders would try their best to keep there closet as tidy as possible, rather than setting themselves up for their enemies to pull bones from their closets at the most inconvient of times (bigrally's, elections, etc.).