Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: i know that. but still
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5851&mesg_id=5891
5891, RE: i know that. but still
Posted by sean2, Fri Mar-07-03 09:42 AM
i used to be a tour guide at the museum of tolerance here in los angeles (which despite the title is pretty much a hollocaust museum) and i talked to survivors on a regular basis, phenomenal people! I would just sit and think what it would be like to live through that inhumanity, just the fact that they could function normally was amazing, especially when you consider how many veterans have such a hard time readjusting to society after witnessing the dark side of humanity!

when you start to study the hollocaust its really hard to get a grasp on it enormity! i mean the systematic slaughter of human beings is so disturbing.....i mean just the fact that people sat around and had discussions on the most efficient methods to kill millions of people is disturbing!

now i agree there definately is a hollocaust industry, and i don't think jews neccesarily have the market covered! i think a lot of people of various backgrounds use the hollocaust as a way to make money, which is truely sad! at the museum of tolerance for instance it always disturbed me that the museum used its high moral standing in the community to make political statements condeming palestineans, its not that they had a opinion i disagreed with it was the fact that they were capitalizing on peoples revrence for the positive work they were doing to make a political point. The dark side of the "hollocaust industry" (and this industry should be seperated from the 1000's of quality institutions and individuals that study the hollocaust without profit as a motivation!) is that they spend a lot of energy discounting the suffering of other peoples (weather it be native americans, african slaves, victims of stalins oppression, rwanda, bosnia etc etc), while at the same time ignoring the millions of "other" victims of the hollocaust. its really sad that there are people out there that use the suffering of human beings to make a buck.

my view of the hollocaust (or any example of genocide)is that we should learn the lessons to stop it happening again! and again there are many organizations that make the connections between the hollocaust and other examples of suffering, and this is the way it should be, no one group has a monopoly on suffering!