Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectyup...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5836&mesg_id=5839
5839, yup...
Posted by FireBrand, Sun Mar-09-03 06:48 AM
I feel you. We are seeing the same thing here. European countries are dominating the world by using evolved imperial tactics...and now they want to close their borders to FURTHER protect their interests. I understand this. It's a logical progression- of course they want to protect what they have. But, it isn't right, and in the end we will see that we have created terrorist states. States that are weakened by imperial dominance like Afghanistan. States that harbor a motley crue of refugee ethnicities that have no where else to run to. How do you make any animal (including humans) dangerous? Limit it's options, corner it- eliminate hope.

>This, while "Studies of conflicts in Africa show that there
>is a far greater possibility for break-out of conflict in a
>country where exports of oil, minerals or other raw
>materials make up a large share of the economy than in
>countries with little export of raw materials." (- Norwegian
>Refugee Council)
>

Of course...especially when the goods and resources are not being recycled back into the people or communities of that land. When you have DeBeers, and other European/Asian/Arab countries in Afrika that own the diamond mines, the oil fields, the big farms, and other resources- what choice do you leave the people? They have to become scavengers. Lord knows that diamond mining isn't lucrative for the workers.

>
>>The thing of
>>it is-how can another country, even a superpower possibly
>>support this new influx?
>
>Yep, it won't because that would mean the break down of its
>power and wealth....
>It goes against its nature. But that is why i see it as an
>important truth.
>
Agreed.

>"The majority of refugees worldwide can be found in
>undeveloped countries. The rich countries dont accept them
>to the same extent.. not even close to the same extent as
>poorer countries, who in many cases more or less have
>completely open borders." (paraphrasing the norwegian
>refugee council)
>
>>Especially while they (Countries/states) are undergoing
>>financial stress. Does this add to the dilema in the Gulf,
>>and in Central Asia?
>
>You mean more immigrants means more bad economy, and that
>adds to the "need" of war in the middle east? Hmmh it is
>interesting, didnt think about it in that way. I know too
>little to say anything about it...what do you have on your
>mind?

European countries like the U.S. don't want to help these peoples because they realize that among other things it means that our infrastructure and raw material needs will become greater. If a Russian doctor (or Indian computer programmer, or whatever) comes over- he can contribute and become a valueable CONSUMER, but if a Haitian, or Columbian, or someone from a country ravaged by imperialism and has limited skills comes over- they become dependant upon the system until they can stand on their own two feet. Taxpayers here don't want that.

>
>>I mean...raw materials are often
>>renewable, but not readily available without maturation.
>
>Sorry, dont understand this.. dont see where it links with
>migration affecting foreign politics. :) (Like it aint
>complicated enough already!)

This was referring to countries that have raw materials like Lumber, oil, and such the like, and are being exploited. They won't get a chance to bounce back because the parental generation will have limited resources to work with. Which means as the kids come up they won't know what they have- and then the cycle of degradatin, and imperial raping can start again.
----------------------
Avatar? Nea onnim sua a, ohu; nea odwen se onim dodo no, se ogyae sua a, ketewa no koraa a onim no firi ne nsa.

The Love of my life: (Future Mrs. FireBrand)
http://members.tripod.com/~samblondie/sampage2.htm

Refreshing Lyrics:
http://www.ohhla.com/anonymous/nas/gods_son/i_can.nas.txt

"Everywhere is war- m'say war" -- Bob Marley

www.jru.org.jm
Gone clear...Jamaican Rugby nah ras. Mo' Fiya!

"Be intent on action, not on the fruits of action; avoid attraction to the fruits and attachment to inaction! Perform action, firm in discipline, relinquishing attachment; be impartial to failure and sucess - this equanimity is called discipling. Wise men disciplined by understanding relinquish the fruit born of action; freed from these bonds of rebirth, they reach a place beyond decay." --Teachings of Krishna

"...If it were not for them in my life I might have not realized just how dangerous Western culture is for thinking Afrikans and would have gone on to become another empty, wasted intellectualizer." --Larry D. Crawford (Mwalimu A. Bomani Baruti)