Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWhen to break the door down
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5811&mesg_id=5833
5833, When to break the door down
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Mar-23-03 03:24 PM
Have you ever went to a place where you thought you were welcome and tried knocking on the door and no one answered? I think some people assume no one will answer or when opportunity knocks it's a fluke. False expectations, double standards and glass ceilings are there for some who attempt to ascend or get their own piece of the pie. It depends on what side of the divide you are on or what you have been conditioned to believe or accept.

You means anyone in this case. Capitalism means that we all have a chance to get through our own doors. Unfortunately, some of us put up our own doors or barriers. I am sure there is a cycle that keeps some of us from getting past them.

My mother was a computer programmer and my father a high school drop out. Both had jobs and worked throughout my childhood. I guess I know what it's like to be on both sides. Both of my parents were also raised very poor but they saw reality differently. I feel as if I see both realities, as well as my own. To me the doors of opportunity are phases and every one is like a locked door...not to keep you out but to prepare you for what is going on inside.

Why be solely consumers when we can also be producers and engineers? I think that's what Franks SEED is about. But before I knew anything about that I was a girl who was facing a locked door. I knew that everything I wanted and dreamed of was on the other side so I found a key.

>But,completing my fourth storybook.

I am glad to read that. I am also glad your son is trying to get through his own doors.