Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Does the Book Talk about Business?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5811&mesg_id=5830
5830, RE: Does the Book Talk about Business?
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Mar-23-03 11:48 AM
>But how is Globalfusion doing and more importantly, how is
>the network doing?

Good question. However, I think it's important to note that sometimes a project or initiative has a timeframe. Franks is successful because she has a book to motivate and teach others about starting a business. She also has a company and a web site. I found a few sites with GlobalFusion attached but I'll have to do further research to see where the company is. The SEED web site is up and current. It also has a community (http://www.seedfusion.com/community/guestbook.asp) and events. There are plenty of testimonials there about how SEED has helped people.

>It sounds like more of a motivational book than a book about
>business.

Sometimes people need a little motivation in order to succeed. We all need models and mentors along the way to success. Part of being a leader is being a follower and at times it's important to see how others are doing it (business). Franks seems to have her act together.

>I need hard-core business info, sales, marketing, managing
>funds, seeking investors, VC, etc.

It's really about balance...as well as resources.

I am always teaching folks how to do a SWOT, action plan and timeline. I am pretty good at charting workflow and projecting. These things are critical but so is the other stuff. My supervisor calls me a "heatseeker" and I think I do fairly well as far as knowing what's happening both externally and internally (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats).

>More complicated than that.........ethics aren't even in
>play, alienating one's niche market has nothing to do
>ethics, its about business survival.

I disagree. Apple's conduct or way of doing business is changing and they are alienating their niche market. That's all about ethics but you are right about it being more complicated. I was reading an article in MacAddict (I think) about how Apple was closing out third parties to its detriment. The company claims to be open but is showing they are not. iLife is not open or if it is it's only open to it's own. That decision was made because of the survival mentality but it means that other products can take advantage.

>Furthermore, Apple has been losing money for years -- even
>before they tried to snag some PC owners, that's why they
>tried to make the change.

The iPod is an example of Apple's successful products, as well as the industry-standard Final Cut Pro. There are other high points as well and that's why they are still in the game. My point here is that ethics do matter especially if that's what you are known for.

>Alienating a group of customers is not an ethics issue --
>surviving adversity requires planning and analysis that I
>don't think the book is addressing.

I went through a pretty comprehensive management training program at Columbia Business School a few years ago and I did well. The area I struggled with was negotiation. I was not willing to give in or give up anything to make the deal. Although some of my colleagues would argue with me that I am not a good negotiator I still think I am pretty stubborn. I hate sneaks and usually refuse to work with people who are unethical. Integrity is of utmost importance to me, even more so than the bottom line but that's just me. Fortunately, I work with people who are better at that, better at making deals than I am. Planning and analysis is one of my strong points.