Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: oh sorry
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5811&mesg_id=5823
5823, RE: oh sorry
Posted by M2, Sun Mar-23-03 10:26 AM

>so my question to u is, is there a way that captilalism can
>be accomplished without being unethical, or driving down
>other people in order for you to be on top?
>
>isnt that the nature of a competitive system?

What people are you driving down?

First of all, its very easy to run an ethical business, people do it all the time.

Second, Capitalism creates jobs and wealth for a lot more people than just the owners. A successful business will create wealth for the owner and his family -- and in addition to that, it can create jobs for dozens if not thousands of people, many of whom may not have had jobs before or get better jobs through this new company.

E.g. Capitalism (contrary to the common myth & cliche) does not create more poor people.

Finally, competition drives people to excellence. To do better than my competitor, I have to provide a better product or service, doing so doesn't mean that I'm unethically driving my competitor out of business.

>even if you start a unique business, pretty soon, it wont be
>unique anymore, and you'll have to fend off those who have
>mastered the learning curve and can offer a lot more or the
>same at a lot less than u...
>
>right?

So, its called competition? The fact that everyone can't win at something is a fact of life, it isn't a negative or a reason not to do something in the first place.

Also -- see above.

Finally - communal or communist systems have worse flaws IMO, in that people aren't as driven to excel, lack of economic growth & lack of technological advancement.

Peace,

M2