Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNo Problem...Answer to Your Question
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5811&mesg_id=5820
5820, No Problem...Answer to Your Question
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Mar-23-03 09:18 AM
>so my question to u is, is there a way that captilalism can
>be accomplished without being unethical, or driving down
>other people in order for you to be on top?
>
>isnt that the nature of a competitive system?

Franks' "The SEED Handbook" is about how to plan a new business based on integrity, personal values, and openness. It's about balancing personal and professional goals, developing projects that empower people (women) and their families/communities through financial independence. Also, it's about returning to spiritual values, serving society instead of exploiting it and taking control of one's own life by running healthy businesses to gain independence.

Is it possible to remain integral and true in a competitive environment? I think so but the question each person needs to ask is, "Am I still serving my stakeholders OR am I serving some other interest?" If the project is true to the core values and the vision then it's possible that one can seek out success through establishing productive partnerships, esp. for sustainability. Rather than compete the business collaborates. Of course, so many business folks misunderstand this. They collaborate in ways that create walls and alienate certain groups in the community. Perhaps it depends on who the stakeholders are.

For example, in the community media and technology field there are two movements struggling to converge. Each movement has their own p.o.v. about what community access means. The media folks see public access as giving people the tools to create programs for cable TV. The technology people want to bridge the digital divide by offering access to people to gain skills to better their lives. Both see value in what they offer and provide access to in their communities.

Community media and public access TV folks feel the pressure of their franchise agreements (with local gov. and cable corps.), as well as the development of digital video. Some of them rely on several thousands of dollars from these agreements to sustain themselves. They are forced to provide TV access and not the emerging technology. They are unable to compete with other community centers, esp. tech centers. As government policies change (FCC) and cable companies get swept up in mergers and takeovers, these community media centers are forced to diversify their funding and, as a result, compete with their neighbors for $$$. Many of these centers have gotten away from their core values and missions.

The same can be said for community tech centers. This movement was based on computer access for the underserved but reports show that the digital divide is shrinking, with more and more homes having computer/tech access. There is less and less money allocated to related initiatives and the centers are competing with others for a shrinking pot of $$$.

I know these issues well. Externally, things are changing and making it harder to stay focused. I started a community tech center inside of a public access TV center. However, instead of focusing on access, I focused on opportunity, for myself, as well as the people we serve. I realized that my multimedia center was unique but not for long. My vision was to create a community hub but then I realized I could be that hub. My projects are both local and national. I am spreading out a little while staying true to my own mission/vision.

It's tricky. I run the risk of alienating people but I am good at sharing resources and knowing when to hold back, develop new projects and find resources. I think balance and resourcefulness is key. The idea is creating multiple spaces to see the vision fulfilled, esp. local, national and international, as well as educational, nonprofit and for profit.

My vision works in several environments. My core values remain the same no matter what. I've rejected partnerships with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development in D.C. (for example), as well as with key political folks in the city (Boston) to remain true to my vision. I've used the Internet to create a name for myself (listservs) as well as conferences and other networking venues. The more people that know about what I am doing the more opportunities come my way. I am not really competing with folks, just building bridges and forging new territory all the time.