Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: War and Star Wars
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5633&mesg_id=5713
5713, RE: War and Star Wars
Posted by OGSolo, Mon Mar-24-03 04:12 AM
good post, though your precision in quoting star wars is a little lacking...

thinking about crushing the rebellion (al-qaeda would certainly sympathize). is it all a matter of perspective? or are there differences (beyond one being fiction and one being real life) that clearly draw a line between them? actually, from what little i have heard about bin laden and company, they seem to paint themselves in the same sort of legends as the "rebellion" and other idealogs.

i don`t think that is coincidence, as george lucas heavily researched the ideas of myth in writing his stories. to attract followers, bin laden has drawn on the classic myth of a wronged people that begin a great struggle on the way to glory. reality would suggest that the number of people who would benefit from his ideas are few, and his numbers as of now are not significant enough to overthrow the world order.

that being said, the bush/emporer/tarkin vibe is a strong one. the emporer`s idea was that the disorder was destructive and that by consolidating power, order and safety would be restored. but we know what power leads to, and, by bullying others, we sometimes get strong responses.

two years ago, i couldn`t imagine the idea of the american empire ending. maybe i have just grown up some, but it all seems much more fragile now. may the force be with us (not "decisive force," but the guiding light...)