Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: EURO not OIL...you missed the point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5633&mesg_id=5691
5691, RE: EURO not OIL...you missed the point
Posted by foxnesn, Thu Mar-20-03 09:12 AM
you obviously didnt read the previous posts between LexM and I and you must not have read the article Seenic posted which talked about what you said.

i know about the oil-dollar nexus, i posted something about it a couple weeks ago and only a few people replied. and i know how important it is to the US economy. given the circumstances the euro is in no position to take the reigns. #1 currently OPEC would make less money trading oil for euros rather than oil for dollars, and we know OPEC wants to make the most money possible so they will stay with the strongest currency. #2 ever since the US recession the Euro has been struggling to maintain stability. no one is going to invest in an unstable currency.

the bush administration has no reason to worry about OPEC switching to the euro. also, the US doesnt just print out money to pay for stuff. it can only print what is equal to the demand which controls inflation. also, a decrease in the value of dollar doesnt exactly hurt the economy. for a short time when the euro was more valuable the US economy actually strengthened. as a nation you dont always want to have the most valued currency because it makes it more difficult for other countries to buy your goods. the oil-dollar nexus does give the US a head start but losing it wont crush the economy.