Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Ghetto in morocco vs ghetto in usa
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5531&mesg_id=5544
5544, RE: Ghetto in morocco vs ghetto in usa
Posted by brownsugs, Tue Apr-08-03 08:37 PM
>>>>That's why you see a larger stratification, but that is also
>why there are probably more people living above the poverty
>line in the U.S. than in Morrocco.

I dont understand stratification (if you mean a stronger community in Morocco: yes). But that isn't why more people are living below the poverty line in Morocco. There are other reasons to why it is like that.. Morocco is an african country while USA is the western country deluxe. Because of the divide between the west and the rest, there is a political and economical divide between USA and Morocco, and it has more to do with that than with what type of family culture USA and Morocco has.<<<<<<

This was a little out there and the reason why Morrocco is poorer than the U.S. is because there's no interest invested in Morrocco by western capital(even though i don't know much about Morrocco,i'm willing to say this) but the stratification i'm talking about is the stratification of types of family structures that are present. The U.S. has many different family structures and i'm willing that the ability to work outside a family structure not only allows individuals to have a higher earning potential but also, in the same vein, allows for greater upward mobility within a society allowing the poor to raise themselves up. i'm not saying that they can't in Morrocco, but i think that having a whole culture that is based largely on families blocks the upward mobility of those families that are on the lower end of their society.