Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMore on this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5388&mesg_id=5489
5489, More on this
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Apr-06-03 04:02 PM
The reason I like the statement "There is no spoon" is not because I love the movie "The Matrix" rather I like the determination that we need to be cautious not to place too much importance on images or what we see reflected (self). Most of what we see and what we know are illusions.

Many Buddhists believe that "the illusory nature of the world consists of our knowledge of the world." The concrete world is an illusion. Our views and perceptions of this illusory world do not match reality itself. We place parameters on the world around us. This is the spoon, so to speak, but these parameters are false. We seek to be God's reflection, to be made in His image but which is the illusion? When we look into a mirror only one thing is real. The other acts based on what they perceive is real. Two people could look into the same mirror but what each describes is totally different or the same based on conditioning. This ties into this concept of free will and omniscience.