Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Question
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5388&mesg_id=5467
5467, RE: Question
Posted by McDeezNuts, Mon Apr-07-03 02:07 AM
>How much of the Bible do you believe and where do you draw
>the line at what to toss out and what to keep?

To be honest, I don't know the Bible well enough to say how much I believe. I believe what makes sense, not only to my head, but also to my heart/soul. I also don't accept a church's interpretation of something without thinking it out for myself.

>I used to wonder about this alot so I know how u feel when
>you're sayin this stuff but to me i kinda realized that if
>you can toss out a part of the Bible it kinda makes it all
>invalid cuz now theres doubt. but im just wonderin what you
>think about that

Somewhere else in this thread I talked about having faith without questioning it and without having any doubt- I think that's misguided, and isn't truly faith. To me, in order to put your heart and faith into something, you have to question it so that you can decide for yourself that it is the right answer. If someone is afraid to question one of their core beliefs, what does that tell you? They might be afraid that deep down, it could be wrong. It's hard for me to believe in anything without a doubt unless I have solid proof that it's the only right answer. I think you have to question everything.

You're assuming that by saying the Bible is not perfect, that makes the whole book invalid. That's no true though. I think the Bible is divinely inspired, but is limited by man's ability to interpret, and thus is flawed. And aside from man's ability to interpret, what about the possibility that over the milennia, certain men have put their own agendas into the mix and intentionally mistranslated/misinterpreted what God wanted the Bible to say? For example, women's place in the Bible is very subservient- did God intend it that way, or did the men who wrote the Bible take aims to make sure it came out that way?