Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: you're setting up parameters again.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5388&mesg_id=5394
5394, RE: you're setting up parameters again.
Posted by McDeezNuts, Tue Apr-01-03 07:36 AM
>basically limiting yourself from the start. not ALL
>ideologies do this.

All ideologies are limited in some way. No way of thinking allows for every possibility, because I don't think mankind has the capacity to comprehend every possibility.

>when you say that i "think i know" then you put limitations
>on ME based on your limitations you set upon yourSELF.
>basically you're taking your understanding of reality and
>saying that others (that don't necesarily agree to said
>limitations) are limited to it as well. this is ok for
>christians and other absolutist ideologies...

I didn't mean to come across as insulting. I'm not trying to impose/push my beliefs on anyone. But I do think that your understanding of your place in the universe is limited by your own set of parameters, just like everyone else's.

For example, since you don't believe in God/divine being, you don't allow the possibility that your whole frame of reference is just as flawed as mine. I'm not saying I have the right answer, but I think we're all forced to operate within our own set of limitations in terms of how we approach these types of abstract concepts.

>just know there are other systems out there that don't. ones
>that have answered and gone through these elementary "free
>will" ideas/discussions LONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG before
>christianity was around on the earth.

I know Christianity is pretty young in the scheme of things (so is mankind). For the record, I think most religions that involve some type of divine power are somehow referencing the same deity, whether the religion/ideology is ancient or recent...

PS If a discussion of free will/predestination/God's role is elementary, I can't imagine what you consider a really advanced discussion... I think this discussion is pretty important in forming a frame of reference for understanding life itself (at least among those who believe in some type of divinity)...

PPS Are you a nihilist? :)