Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectchallenge
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5123&mesg_id=5239
5239, challenge
Posted by naiserie, Sat Apr-12-03 05:36 AM
I apologize, I should've made my argument...

While white Europeans can undoubtedly be credited with introducing Christianity, black Missionaries provided significant contributions to the Christianizing effort in several different ways. One of the more influential contributions were their embrace of native language groups rather than forced English education (see Samuel Adjai Crowther). Black missionaries were the first to recognize the importance of approaching Africans in their mother tongues, an influence which can be seen today in the multitude of varying African groups who worship every Sunday.

Another important contribution was black missionaries willingness to openly oppose colonial powers to the benefit of native groups (see William Henry Shepard in the Congo). Rather than being a tool of outside control, these missionaries fought to establish changes in abusive policies.

Both of these factors are significant in that rather than re-enforcing the 'otherness' of African groups, the black missionaries established ground by which to minister affording respect necessary for effective conversions. Rather than further ostracizing or inflaming existing tensions, black missionaries (partly due to US uplift movements) tended to empathize with native groups, giving them more credence than their white counterparts who had served to re-enforce the colonial death grip on Africans.

I see these influences as significant, especially considering the effect they've had on the development of missions in Africa and current mission efforts on the continent. I'm not claiming that a group of black missionaries had more influence than the thousands of white or european, but rather that their contribution ought to be recognized, and it's significance understood.