Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: A Question about Afrikan Thinking
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5123&mesg_id=5231
5231, RE: A Question about Afrikan Thinking
Posted by Konnex, Sat Apr-12-03 05:09 AM
>b) I am gonna speak about christianity because I don’t know much about Islam
Konnex talks about worshipping in his
>language etc etc, but it sounds like the religion is
>divorced from the people;s culture. Its this Sunday
>obligation we have but is in no way, linked, assimilated
>into the kikuyu culture.

Vipi Akon?weeeeh!!! wacha kunienjoy!!!(smile)I see what you are saying,and I definitely agree on some points.However,When you say that at no time has Kikuyu culture been assimilated into christian religion,I am not sure that that is exactly right.If we are talking about Kikuyu culture and not Kikuyu religion,what I have observed is that my(Christian) religion is making efforts to make this assimilation.I already talked about the use of our language in worship,the language is part of our culture,I talked about the Kikuyu style offertory at mass(livestock,harvest),this too is an aspect of our culture, We call the Christian God Ngai,The priests in my village see no reason why we can't call upon our ancestors(maybe because it is similar to the Catholic Communion of Saints)So in many ways,Kikuyu Culture and Catholicism do exist happily together.As for the question of this unform idea of Africa,I agree when you say sometimes we are caught up in useless semantics.It irritates me no end to have someone who's never been to Africa browbeating me because I spelt it with a "C" as if that's the biggest problem Africa faces.But it also ticks me off,when I'm chillin with friends and someone tells me to say something African to my Nigerian friend for example.Then when I say we don't speak the same language,they say it sucks that I can't speak African when it's my language(what the fuck??)Or when they say they are going to holiday in Italy,Sweden,Finland and Africa,or ask me how come I can speak English when the show they saw on TV showed that there are no schools in Africa(like it's a village)You see my pain?We get thrown into this shapeless mass.I rebel against the idea of a uniform Africa(despite your noble and correct observations on such a uniformity)but only because most of the people I meet who suggest this uniformity do it from a place of ignorance and laziness and not based on the ideas you articulated.Besides,I just want to make it known that Kenya specifically kicks ass.Au sivyo?

"Fighting for peace is like fucking for celibacy"