Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: !
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5123&mesg_id=5219
5219, RE: !
Posted by malang, Mon Apr-14-03 05:01 AM
>you're a pakistani punjabi and you're saying that indians
>don't share that much with persians and arabs?! persoarabic
>culture had a tremendous amount of cultural influence on
>india, how could you possibly claim otherwise?

u mean arab, indian, or european influences on afrika would render them non-afrikan, or also as arabs/etc? influences are here there everywhere, where do we choose to draw a line? it seems in this discussion it is being drawn with afrikans, but not for toher groups...

>>we all share a common origin if we go back enough.
>
>are you about to sing we are the world?

once again, which idstinctions do we choose to make? if it is easy to make an argument that all non-afrikans are one group..then why not?

>surely you are not arguing that sanskrit is *not* an
>indo-european language? (in this regard, wasn't max muller
>more important than william jones?)

u mean max muller who said: "I hope I shall finish that
work and I feel convinced, though 1 shall not live to see it, yet, this edition of mine and the translation of the Veda, will hereafter tell to a great extent on the fate of India and on the growth of millions of souls in that country. It is the root of their religion and to show them what the root is, I feel sure, is the only way of uprooting all that sprung from it during the last 3000 years."

NO, i dont think that that bastard max muller, an employee of east inida company, did any orignal work. its pure orientalism. i pointed out most of similarities that have been made between sanskrit and european languages are limited to a few numbers, "no", and mother. i think neither him, nor present day historians fully know that history. i think it will take time or we may not ever know....to me its irrelevent, but whatever...

>>and the west (which u are a part of and enjoy priviledges of)?
>
>aren't you?

not much when u are an illegal immigrant. but yes, i became legal only recently, and i do acknowledge the priviledges i have had and have gained.

BUT USING THIS AS AN EXAMPLE: it is just as ridiculous to lump all these groups into one, as it is to lump all americans into one group as enjoyers of first world priviledge and as perpetuator of violence and oppression the world over.

i did this for many years until i came to realize that the oppression suffered by african americans, latinos, immigrants, poor people, etc is the same. it takes different shapes and forms, but it was unfair of me to to think of all those people as americans. because in reality they are not.

> when cultures,
>>and people were raped and taken away the same damn way as in
>>africa as in india as in suth east asia as in the americas.
>
>but, wait, yts also share our common origin if we go back
>enough.

true, we all do. which is why this discussion to me is pointless. what matters is how oppression is played out now. HOWEVER, i do think it is a good thing for afrikans to figure out their oppression and work against it within THEMSELVES, and to hold others accountable for what they perpetuate upon them and even to account for historical oppresion where appropriate.

>i'm kidding, but i'll say this. i myself also have all
>sorts of warm feelings about south-south relations, but you
>can't get solidarity pre-fab from zimbabwean pathans.
>people's skepticism can't be shouted down, or argued away
>with references to one's own experience of poverty or social
>set up or whatever. and i find it curious that the south
>asians in this thread have a desire for rapprochement that
>the afrikans do not share. rather than calling yuckwheat a
>self-hating dougla, perhaps the question is how he arrived
>at his skepticism.

i understand the skepticism. i understand peoples need to do things for themselves. i still have not said that there should be solidarity cuz people need to build up themselves before they can woprk with others. BUT grouping people into one group, when it has no practical basis, denies their history and struggle against oppression.

>ps. i find it funny that you as a pakistani keep saying
>india, when i thought the pc phrase was south asia. just an
>observation.

yeah, it bad habit.