Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5123&mesg_id=5184
5184, ...
Posted by Solarus, Sat Apr-12-03 05:24 PM
>Was there a strain of thought in Afrikan society that
>demonstrated aversion to Islam/Muslims?

>There were not
>Afrikans who gained nothing by being Muslim who had disdain
>for Afrikans who did convert?

I don't understand this question.

>The Afrikans who did convert,
>according to you, converted because of economic gain, upward
>social mobility, etc. So since they were former low class
>people, how did the high class Afrikans look at them?

It's not necessarily just an issue of class. For instance in the comment I made about Chinua Achebe describing the conversion of Igbo to Christianity, in one case the son of a extremely proud warrior in the village converted to Christianity in great part due to the dislike of his father and his inability to forgive him for killing the child of an enemy village who had come to be the son's best friend/brother. In another case, twins were seen as bad luck to the Igbo and often left in the wilderness to die upon birth. So twins that were left in the wilderness were taken by missionaries and raised by them only to be the most loyal of converts (for obvious reasons).

I say this to show that it wasn't just a function of "class" as reasons for persons to make the conversion. Therefore I can't see how I can answer that question. Looking at West Afrika I can't see where conversion your question would apply concerning Islam specifically.