Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthis is gonna sound "odd"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5123&mesg_id=5126
5126, this is gonna sound "odd"
Posted by Utamaroho, Mon Apr-07-03 09:32 AM
but i'd suggest reading C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity". he's a christian apologist who wrote the BEST discourse on what being a "real" christian is. In it, he explains the difference between "calling" yourself something with reference to the original and skewed definitions...and BEING the thing you're calling yourself. He makes distinctions between the word connotations of "gentleman" and "christain". I'd check that out, because it basically explains the logical progression of thought i think you're trying to understand. It's at EVERY local library.

"In order to see the underlying similarities in the many different peoples and their cultures in Africa, you'd have to listen, read, interact, or live and experience a substantial amount of these cultures". this can be done outside of geopolitical or continental barriers. After a while, i think it'd be fairly easy to see the "whole" and have an understanding of what people (like myself) mean when referring to "traditional afrikan ways". i COULD apply a little reductionism...but why??? (you'll see why i said that after your experiences and reading of massive amounts of african literatur/data/experiences)

and yes. i know of MANY people who practice and try to retain the traditional afrilkan ways who see christianity and islam as a problem.