Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectA Question about Afrikan Thinking
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5123&mesg_id=5123
5123, A Question about Afrikan Thinking
Posted by Kala Akbar, Mon Apr-07-03 07:19 AM
This question is being posed really to Utamaroho and Solarus but anyone who knows the Afrikan way of thinking/living can also add in. When you guys look at Afrikan people and culture within Afrika, I've noticed that you tend to seperate elements like Islam and Christianity particularly as "non-Afrikan" and you paint them as detrimental to original Afrikan culture. To a large extent I see where you are coming from and I agree with you on certain things. However, my question about the Afrikan discourse is I'm wondering if its not a little revisionist in its picture of Afrika. It reminds me a lot of Hindu revivalism/nationalism in India. The Hindu nationalists tend to portray what the see as "non-Hindus" (Muslims, Christians, etc.) as detrimental to Hinduism. They however disregard the fact that both these religions have been syncretised highly within the Hindu culture of India. They seem to be missing the reality of the situation that Hindus and Muslims and Christians have been living with very similar at times cultural background. From my understanding of Afrika, there has also been a high syncretisation of Islam and Christianity within Afrikan culture. You can prove me wrong but this is from what I know.
Don't you think going to visit Afrika would be important in actually seeing the Afrikan way of life rather than just reading theories about it? And if you have been to Afrika(Solarus) how has that affected your viewpoint about Afrikan discourse?