Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectU.S. walks out on Iraq envoy's U.N. speech
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=5026&mesg_id=5081
5081, U.S. walks out on Iraq envoy's U.N. speech
Posted by foxnesn, Thu Mar-27-03 02:11 PM
*GOOD FOR HIM!!!!!!!!!!*

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030327-052846-4480r

UNITED NATIONS, March 27 (UPI) -- U.S. Ambassador John Negroponte walked out of the U.N. Security Council Thursday in protest to remarks by Baghdad's envoy that Washington sought to destroy the Iraqi people.

The incident occurred at the end of two days of speeches by about 80 members of the world organization before the 15-member council as Iraq's Ambassador Mohammed Aldouri thanked the majority of speakers and criticized the U.S.-led coalition.

"The United States and the United Kingdom were hoodwinked when they were told that the Iraqi people would receive them with flowers and hugs," he said. "The Iraqi people, the women, the students, the peasants are now facing the American and United Kingdom forces in Iraq today. Therefore, when the United States found itself before a fierce resistance of the Iraqi people who are keen of their independence and the sovereignty and when they know that the Iraqi people and the Muslim people all over the world support it and call upon it to resist, the United States has started to destroy this Iraqi people."

Then, Negroponte and some aides got up and left the council chamber.

Afterward, a reporter asked, "Did you personally get up and leave the room during Ambassador Aldouri's speech to show your rejection of his statement?"

Negroponte responded, "I did sit through quite a long part of what he had to say but I think that -- I'd heard enough after a certain amount of time and I didn't hear anything new in what he had to say. And of course, I don't accept any of the kinds of allegations and preposterous propositions that he put forward."

What Negroponte didn't hear, was Aldouri's continuing allegations, among others, of the allies targeting residential areas.

"The United States will destroy the Iraqi people because they hate it and because they will resist it and because they will pay the price in blood to get it out," said Aldouri. "The Iraqi people will defend the principles of the United Nations and all your (Security Council member's) principles, the principles of peace and security.

"Therefore, I call upon the Security Council that the United Kingdom the United States and Australia are about to start a real war of extermination that will kill everything."

Behind the scenes, members of the council were negotiating a new humanitarian program for the people of Iraq, by revamping the so-called oil-for-food program.

The program's problem is not that any nations are against getting humanitarian goods to Iraq's people, but that some council members fear the wording of a re-worked resolution could legitimize the U.S.-led invasion. A resolution was expected to come out of the talks later Thursday.

Also later Thursday, U.N Secretary-General Kofi Annan was to meet with British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was stopping in New York on his way back to London from talks with U.S. President George W. Bush.

"The war is very important," Aldouri continued in his closing remarks. "It is the cause that leads to this deteriorating humanitarian situation. I call upon you all to move towards taking a resolution to halt the war, to halt the aggression and to rid the Iraqi people of what they are facing."

He added promises that "The Iraqi peoples are committed to the Geneva Conventions and the provisions of international humanitarian law and they will see nothing from Iraq except self defense and defending of its people, its sovereignty and its independence."