Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthe one thing I noticed about Bill's comments is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=502&mesg_id=641
641, the one thing I noticed about Bill's comments is
Posted by encore, Wed Jul-07-04 06:58 AM
He has very valid complaints about things that are going on in our communities. Education, drugs, teen pregnancy etc. etc. It's all there. Alot of it is self inflicted and alot of it is institutionalized.

HOWEVER...and maybe this has been mentioned already...But outside of complaining about it, what has Bill done REALLY done to combat these particular problems?

Now, before ya'll start talking about college funds and positive sitcoms and whatnot, think about what he's complaining about. I mean, putting money into colleges for black folks is great, but there are 12 grades before that that need to be taken care of before college. And seeing a black family full of doctors and lawyers on tv looks more like a pipe dream than a possibility if you don't know ALL the tools to become one. It doesn't just start in college. If rich black folks want to know where to put their money, they need to put it in elemantary and highschool education. You do that, in 15 years there won't be a need for affirmative action in college.

In the meantime, black folks need to be educated on what's important to function properly in this society. The reality is, we all can't be doctors and lawyers and college grads. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't understand the importance of good credit, owning property and reeducating ourselves on what constitutes having a good job. Plumbers, electricians, janatorial services used to be considered great jobs. My father's good friend is a millionare right now running a janatorial service.

So this all goes back to Bill. It's cool to complain about the shit as long as you have ideas in the same breath.