Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Cosby
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=502&mesg_id=607
607, RE: Cosby
Posted by guest, Fri Jul-02-04 02:05 PM
I would have to say that I agree with Dr. Cosby. After reading many of the posts, I think that the BIGGER ISSUE that Dr.Cosby is referring to was somehow lost. He is not attacking Hip Hop. Is is only telling the truth about particular issues in the Black Community, that some of us would like to hide from. Why is it that when we (Blacks) are criticized for some of our ignorant behaviors we get upset and try to scurry around the main issue and somehow make it a race issue?

It not the "white man's" fault that we have illegitimate children running around without fathers. It's not the "whit man's" fault that there are more Black men in prison than in college. It's not the "white man's" fault that little "Shaquanda" and little "Ray Ray" are walking around at 8 years old listening to music cds and watching televison shows that are intended for adults when they should be doing homework, participating in extracurricular activities at school, reading about Black history (those things that they don't teach in schools) , or anything that is constructive.

What Dr.Cosby is saying is it's time to stop blaming everyone else for the problems in our community and making excuses for our shortcomings and look in the mirror. Where are the parents?, where are our values?, where is our sense of pride?

The Civil Right's movement and all of those involved in it have not failed. They laid the foundation for those Black CEOs, business owners, doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. that we have today. However, we must continue to better our selves and our race. And that starts at home.