Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThis debate...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=502&mesg_id=571
571, This debate...
Posted by WhiteSoulVKF, Fri Jul-02-04 10:10 AM
...I felt was about the effect of music on people. I didn't think it had to be color specific. However, if it does have to be color specific, then I am sorry. If that is the case, I know absolutely nothing of what goes on in the black mind upon hearing hip hop. My original post simply said that I didn't think hip hop was a bad influence on the mind...instead, I felt that hip hop like all other forms of music, is a reflection of where it comes from. The only race statement I made in my original post was that if someone advocated the elimination of hip hop as a black leader, they would most likely alienate themselves from the black community. I said this, not as someone who understands blacks, but as someone who understands that hip hop is primarily an african american art form that is enjoyed by a large number of blacks. Every other thing that has been said about my race has been brought up by suave. Go back to my very first post in this thread, #18. I gave no qualifications. I simply said that I thought that you couldn't blame hip hop for what occurs in the community. Suave bro took that to mean specifically the black community. I simply meant the public. I do want to ask, what about my statement implies that I know what is good or bad for blacks?

My statement was about the nature of art, and the way that if one tries to eliminate a popular artform, the people who enjoy that artform will turn against that person. Why does my being white limit my ability to make such a general statement?

I understand that you feel that I am making a comment about a community that I am not a part of. However, I am not. I am talking about music and people. That is all. I have a right to debate whether music affects people or people affect music. That argument is about me and every other person who turns on a stereo.