Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Hip Hop
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=502&mesg_id=562
562, RE: Hip Hop
Posted by suave_bro, Fri Jul-02-04 05:46 AM
>I don't like the fact that Cos and some of the people on
>this post blame hip hop in general for what is going on the
>community.

-arent you a white guy?

>Hip Hop can be such a positive influence.

-but it isn't. time is up for all you hippie flower children dreamers. we can talk for years about the "coulda woulda shoulda's" but that aint how it is. lets deal in that.

>Sometimes it reflects life in a way that portrays it in a
>suspect manner, but I think it seldom changes it for the
>worse.

-i disagree wholeheartedly. I remember reading an issue of the final call and there was an article about our low marriage rates and the author of the article blamed the culture of being a "pimp" in our community for men not wanting to settle down...of course they blamed the white man for all of that but the point had been made...all these songs that promote promiscuity and being "pimps" has ALOT to do with the illegetimacy rates within our community...what about the article in essence i posted a few months back about our young black females self esteem issues linked to music videos? none of this can be backed by scientific research but i refuse to sit back and believe that one has nothing to do with the other...

>You can disagree if you want. I just don't think
>that the elimination of hip hop is an answer for black
>leadership, which is a role that I think Cosby may be trying
>to take on. All speaking out against hip hop will do is
>alienate one from a large part of the black community.

- well mr white guy, you may not know this but there are alot of folks who are critical of hip hop who were already alienated from the black community before...besides, who said anything about eliminating hip hop? mr cosby has paid his dues as well as educated tons and tons of black folks with his television programming...i understand peoples love for REAL hip hop, but that shit is just music. bill cosby has donated so many millions of dollars to keep black colleges open it aint even funny, i should know because i went to one that recieved his aide (MILES)...