Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Of course you do :-)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=502&mesg_id=538
538, RE: Of course you do :-)
Posted by suave_bro, Fri Jul-02-04 06:06 AM
>Many of the "activists" and civil rights folks from the 70s
>did quite well in the 80s, including Cosby and Jackson. The
>former has a successful career that spans a few decades.
>Last month, I was chatting briefly with an actor who was in
>a popular TV show in the 70s and 80s. This guy was white
>and told me that most folks that were doing well in TV land
>were also in la-la land as far as what was happening in the
>streets.

-well i didnt know you were formulating your argument around black ACTORS. i thought u were talking about just everyday black folks...with that said, i dont think there was a large population of black folks in the 70's who just got their money and ran...if u have proof of this id like to see it.

>>if im not mistaken this was
>>the era of the projects, crack cocaine, and welfare...
>
>Crack was in the 80s. Projects and welfare but I was in the
>projects in the 70s and it was quite different back then.

-crack cocaine was introduced into our communities in the mid to late 70's. true enough during the 80's it exploded but to pretend there was NO drugs to suit your argument? cmon now. and yes the welfare system was not different back then it was WORSE!

>>so if
>>you could elaborate on these invisible black millionaires
>>that came out of the 70's, id appreciate it.
>
>Millionaires? Read my message, again.

-surely blacks in the 70's didnt just up and leave the community as thousandaires. if so, that makes your argument sound less true to begin with.

>>secondly, what
>>was the point of the civil rights movement? to just march
>>and protest and preach forever? at what point do black folks
>>enjoy the fruits of their labor?
>
>Equality and justice for all.

-well you just proved my point. for a black man to be doing what im doing with little to no hassle at all from "da man", was almost unheard of during the civil rights movement.

>>my father still remembers
>>"colored only" signs growing up
>
>Both my parents experienced Jim Crow in the south.
>Actually, it was my father who taught me what he thought I
>needed to know about activists in the 70s and 80s. I took
>it with a grain of salt but I remember he was none too happy
>about it.

-well i didnt mean for you to give us (yet another) chapter from your overexaggerated life story. I was simply using somebody who lived in my own house as an example how how rediculous your argument of "they failed us" was...in fact, do you tell your father to his face that he failed his community?

>>- are you forgetting the congressional black caucus? the
>>NAACP? julian bond? jesse jackson? al sharpton? the nation
>>of islam? I could go on and on naming the folks who
>>critisized "the system" but guess what, THOSE FOLKS ARE
>>RICH!!
>
>This only supports what I stated.

- not necessarily. you were arguing that "mr cosby" should focus his attention on the system but why should he? look at all those millionaires who get fat pay checks from democrats for critisizing the "system"...bill cosby is already rich so his motives are a little more genuine in that aspect...

>What's the cost of living and how many single parent incomes
>fit into your equation?

- cost of living is irrelevant. if a white 2 parent home is making 46K living in new york they wont be living THAT much better than the black one earning 41K a year...single parent homes dont fit in2 the equation at all. but that is how we do it, we will look at a 2 parent white family and say "daze rich", all the while we screw like jack rabbits and make baby after baby after baby and wont even be MARRIED. its a wise economic decision to have a duel income household. but that is another topic altogether....

>>-I disagree again. what country are u living in!? hip hop
>>was also thugged out and mysoginistic (NWA)

>Public Enemy came before NWA.

-really? i thought they both released their fist albums in 1987!? and no i didnt need a history of hip hop from you. seriously.