Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthe goals have not been accomplished
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=502&mesg_id=512
512, the goals have not been accomplished
Posted by yngblkprinceMD, Wed Jul-07-04 03:47 AM
our ppl have not as a whole been uplifted, the majority of blacks are not even seeing close to the wealth/quality of life that whites enjoy, there is quite a great disparity between the number/percentage of poor blacks and poor whites. WHY is this? its certainly not because our people are in anyway inferior...why arent there white ghettos and projects in every city in america? all the problems we (blacks) face in this country stem from the great injustices that were done to our ancestors...injustices that still have not been properly corrected.

our ppl have a lot of problems and many of us have warped values but we werent born with these ideas, we were socialized to think this way by an oppressive system which today happens to be a lot less overt...but its still there.

i have no problem with the black middle class enjoying their wealth but i do have a BIG problem with ppl thinking they have "made it" and the "fight" is over when our brothers and sisters are starving, dont have adequate health care, and living in slums

the black middle class needs to get of that euro-influenced individualistic head trip where they distance themselves from the rest of the community...wether u or anyone else likes it we are still a marginalized ppl in this country and i dont see how ppl can overly enjoy their wealth when they know their ppl are starving elsewhere

i mean MLK jr was pretty well off, if he had just been on some i got mine, now u get urs then where would the civil rights movement have gone

to quote mos def "get urs first, then other niggas secondary, that type of illin that be filling up the cemetary" and thats so true, the disunity of the black community is what's really hindering progress now, and i personally feel that if the 60-70s era brothas and sisters had not become complacent we could have retained the great unity that we had in that period and things would have been a lot better now