Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Why Affirmative Action?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=4699&mesg_id=4712
4712, RE: Why Affirmative Action?
Posted by LK1, Wed Jun-25-03 07:18 PM
"It is a reaction to the Black struggle,
but its means was to suppress the ongoing Civil Rights
Movement, which it did."

>I don't think there is doubt in anyone's mind
that LBJ, Nixon or any other U.S. president
wanted to suppress the Civil Rights Movement.
one thing is clear: without the pressure from
below AA would have never gotten off the ground.

"No more CRM. No more Malcolm X's or MLK's. No more massive,
world changing protests. More wars. More money."

>And AA is to blame for all of this. LOL!

But you admit it was to blame for SOME of this? What else was there? What else caused the American identity crisis? How could rich white politicians attempting to stop the Movement possibly be a good thing? I'm not dissing you.. you have interesting points (and stats)... I'm honestly interested to hear what else you think caused it, because I can't think of anything, besides assasinations (which should've prompted a stronger Movement), that could've been the means for people to end the CRM.

>Listen, son, until the revolution
happens, people gotta eat and put
a roof over their heads, understand?

Yeah, those who are lucky enough to be chosen by the gov't, so why the fuck would you stop the revolution? It already happened...

>I have no doubt that LBJ and Nixon
supported AA programs because they
wanted to placate minorities. WE
ALL KNOW THE MOTIVES OF LEADERS IN
HIGH PLACES.

We most definitely agree on this one. But this being said, isn't this means for going AGAINST AA? Doesn't this statement argue MY point? Why be complacent?

Just so you know my stance on the issue, I'm not against AA because it creates jobs for people, but because I simply don't believe it works in the long run. The vast majority of white America believes the race problem is over because the gov't is intervening (while welfare goes straight to hell, and average salaries are exactly the same ratios), but all hell is going to break loose when it stops. If the CRM had continued moving at the rate it was moving, I honestly believe we'd have made a lot more progress. Instead, in the next 10 years, there's going to be a regression--a Republican regression, and a shitload of violence.